Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Give Me an Inch...-Day 15

I am reminded today how important every minute and every interaction is in the field of education. I am thinking of the two girls on the playground today. Both girls were sitting quiet and sullen at opposite ends of the sand box creating designs in the sand with seemingly no end result. I visited with each girl individually and started to walk away when I realized how introducing them to each other and making that initial leap could make a world of difference to both of them. They began working on a sand project together and hopefully made a connection they wouldn't have otherwise had.

Then my thoughts turn to my commitment to being in classrooms 3 days out of 5. This was supposed to be a building day (when I am in classrooms) but I had two crucial meetings today. One was with my Parent Accountability Committee and the other to review my building budget. I spent time in classrooms before I went out to the playground but only made it to 3 grade levels. As I looked at the clock, I saw that there were only 20 minutes left before the bell rang. I almost went in to my office to start planning for our Early Release professional time together and instead decided to spend 10 minutes in one grade level and 10 minutes in another, thus putting me in at least one classroom per grade level today.

They say football is a game of inches...

...education is a commitment of minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment