Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dry Dust to Lush Grass-Day One

Day one is done. We had such a successful day today. The children were happy and comfortable. I introduced my new Assistant Principal, Mr. C, to all of the kids and they were so excited to have him here. Children are so precious. I was asking some of the first graders what you would say to someone who is new to our building and they responded with phrases such as: "we are so glad you came here", "thank you for choosing us", and "we're so glad to meet you, is there anything you need?". Very impressive! (Luckily I let Mr. C know that his zipper was down prior to walking in rooms. Mr. C has such a good sense of humor. His response to me was, well if I have to spend time tying a tie I guess something's gotta give! :))

I love spending time on the playground with the kids. That is such a carefree and fun time for me to connect with them and them with me. We just had our field re-seeded and the grass is so thick and lush under our feet. This may seem like such a small, unrelated observation but it is amazing what that feel underfoot does to the environment and comfort of our interactions. The hard dirt and dust of last year is gone, in more ways than one.

I am thankful to my little first grade friend who asked me if I had a great summer and that she hoped I rested and spent all of my time with my kids. I find comfort in the graciousness that still exists in our children in a seemingly ungracious time.

Can't wait for day two...

No comments:

Post a Comment